Monday, March 2, 2009

A little flogging please...



Pied Billed Grebe
Podilymbus podiceps
Some people just can't be trusted.
Today my major purchase was a book - Birds of Utah,  field guide.  A copy can be purchased here.   Boy do I feel stupid.  When someone standing next to you is telling you that a bird flying by is a(n).  It's best if you do a little research before attaching a bird name to a photograph for all to see.  Oh that's an American Kestral.  That's a so and so.  Mr. know it all.   Can't believe everything you hear.  Best to just study it out for myself.  So I did.  The little diver I described last night  and shown again above has all the attributes and markings of the name shown. Except a black ring around the beak.  So in reality he may just be a GREBE.  
My previous picture of the American Kestral is really a Northern Harrier.  I did get the Bald Eagle right.  Thank goodness!   More homework to come.  My self assignment this week is depth of field.   D.P.  your on... get me your assignment.  I like the heavy load of two.  Gets me out shooting.  Or at least dreaming and or planning.  




No comments: