Wednesday, March 4, 2009

And the kitchen sink....

Think what you want but there are angels everywhere.
Assignment - Focal Point is in full swing. I would not recommend following me in my vehicle when I'm on assignment (work and photography). Heading to SLC this morning I almost did a nose end endo in my truck when I saw the photo above. It was like live daydreaming. Bet you can't do that. Just another painting waiting to be put to pixels.
Contrast is one of my favorite methods to enhance the focal point or subject. In this case I lucked out. A ton of things to force a focal point on the viewer. Shapes. The building that's well lit is in sharp contrast to the building in the background. The angel is shaped dramatically different than everything else in the photo. The building in the background gives the photo some depth. Then there is the light. That early morning light! Can't beat it. Some call it rim lighting. I call it angelic lighting. Kinda fits here huh?
Workflow:
Shot at -1.6 EV. If not the angel would have looked more like a ghost and the background building exposure would be to hot. I was contemplating HDR here. But the contrast in the photo is much closer to reality. The photo was run through Nik Color EFX. Filled with the B&W infrared filter (to add contrast) and erased the angel to keep his color. Never want to lose gold anything or anywhere. Sharpened the angel very slightly to enhance the subject. Only got 15 minutes of shooting in. Better than a kick in the butt.

1 comment:

linds said...

Just add this to the list of photos that I WANT!! Seriously. dad. you ROCK!!