Saturday, March 7, 2009

It's been four years....




People say that once you've ridden a bike you never forget.    I want to set the record straight.  For most of my life I have enjoyed bike riding.   A ride to Bear Lake from Bountiful City (126 miles over two mountain ranges) was one of many trips on two wheels for me as a teenager.  I loved to ride.  My friend Dan and I would ride to SLC just to ride up Apricot Avenue.  Supposedly the steepest road in Utah.  It was not unusual for Dan and I to leave in the morning and return late the same day with 80-100 miles under our seats.  But now I am 54!  It's been four years since I crashed on my mountain bike, broke my nose and bruised some ribs.   Tonight I climbed on and headed west.  The bike seamed to be creaking more than usual.  
My memory of how to ride was right on.  At least mentally.  My brain remembered.    Soon I found that my lungs, heart and legs forgot about that 25 mile and hour clip I'm used to.  Not sure how fast I was going tonight.  The first clue came when a lady (about my age) passed me....running!  Good thing I had my Boy George makeup on.   The sun glasses and scarf should have helped to not give my identity away too.  A little humiliating.  Thankfully about a mile later I was at Bountiful Pond.   The temperature was about 40 degrees.  Perfect for riding.  No wind.  The lake was beautiful!   Even when gasping for air and wheezing on my bike I take my camera.    My hour ride was refreshing, humiliating and invigorating all at once.  By summer I should be able to keep up with the old lady runners.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You are an animal...looks like we had the same idea...about taking pictures that is. Mine of course didn't turn out quite the way I was hoping they would, still learning. I didn't however ride my bike. You beat on both counts today!

linds said...

Beautiful, landscape photography really speaks to me...even more than portraiture. You REALLY need to teach me!! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow!
Pen-

Anonymous said...

With the Vernal remodel a full go...I am sure they will need a weekly Superintendent visit, so we will all be expecting some more great shots! Incredible Jim!