Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Yellowstone Day One....



Is this heaven?  How can anyone smile all day.  
Today is another first.  I have wanted and tried to photograph sand-hill cranes in the wild for a few years now.   Wow was I lucky today.  On the road from Mammoth to Lamar Valley is a pond that every year has a mated pair.   This pair calls it home for a short while and hatch and raise their young here.  My experience at this pond has been great.  From a black bear to moose to fighting coyotes.  But today it was "Crane day".   Today we saw two grizzly's two black bears, several bull elk, a ton of cow elk and buffalo, sand-hill cranes, great blue herons, a hunting golden eagle, a nesting osprey and last but not least a bratwurst dog with chips.  What a day!  What will tomorrow bring?????
When purchasing the bratwust the counter person asked me today how I was.  My response - "better than I deserve".  

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Love it! I have never heard of a sand-hill crane... It is a beautiful bird. The buffalo takes me back to the ol Yellowstone days. I miss the smell and feel of yellowstone. But I mostly miss the trailer. Luv!!

Alea said...

Awesome! My favorite is the second one because I feel like I can reach out and touch the "velvet" on the antlers. Very cool!

Don said...

I am so jealous, I really wish I was with you. I hope you have a productive and relaxing time in Yellowstone.