Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Bokeh a Blast....

Soccer Pappa then Bokeh seeker.  Yea that's me.  You had better believe that if I am passing with 30 miles of the Bird Refuge I feel the need for.........shooting- photography.  After my grandsons game my spot at the bay was the same as a couple of nights ago.  A lot of action and a great variety of birds.  
This Bokeh thing is way cool.  I thought I spent a lot of time avoiding bad Bokeh.  Tonight I was obsessed to get good Bokeh.  
Oh by the way I booked my first two weeks in Yellowstone last night.  Not much sleep for me for a while.
Realistically it's difficult to insure good Bokeh with wildlife.  I shot several species of birds tonight but had little success.  Finally I worked around this Great Blue Heron until I found a spot that I thought would work.  The Heron like other birds that fish like this are constantly on the move. This close to their nests they don't stay too long in one spot.  To my great pleasure my last position was the best when he took off.  
The shot was taken with my D-200 on the 600mm effectively giving 840mm.  Just what the doctor ordered.    The manual focus lens was not too much of a challenge.  The focal distance stayed close to the same as the bird flew in front and I panned.  The aperture was wide open at f/4.0.   Shutter speed was 1/1250 second.  ISO 200.
The photo was taken just before sundown.  It was nice that the Heron was flying directly into the sun.  Another lucky night with my feathered friends!  Learning the Bokeh!

2 comments:

linds said...

Awesome Bokeh dad!! That word still trips me up, now i feel like I'm saying cowabunga dude! Seriously though, I really love the this photo, the colors in the background are beautiful and the bird, his position, awesome!

Alea said...

Great example of bokeh!The colors and lighting are wonderful. A great success!