Friday, May 29, 2009

Where I have been....


The blogs have been slow in coming.....
Last week a few days of relaxation at my house at Bear Lake.  No phone lines, no cable, and no internet. Peace and quiet.  Before that Yellowstone...THE BEST.  
This week 24 hours counting holes in a grid ceiling, on my back at LDS hospital.   At my age (54) it's always on your mind.  Chest pain, difficulty breathing, heart palpitations a definite sign of a heart attack.   Hope is that these conditions never are felt. 
Entering an emergency room with these conditions three things happen.  
First, you get a pass.  No waiting to check in.  No long conversations about insurance and symptoms.  Right to a bed with friends all around.  
Second, an invisible sign is place around your neck that says - "pin cushion".  And another that says "free, unending supply of blood here. help yourself".  
Third, a stamp is placed on your forehead that says "no sleep required"
I don't think I have ever had the opportunity to spend time in the hospital as a patient.  Except one time as an out patient.  What an experience.  LDS Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah has to be the best hospital in Utah.  Maybe anywhere.  Truthfully, the staff at LDS Hospital made my personal experience there not too bad.  An example..Claustrophobia is a little gift I carry with me everywhere.  One test that potential heart attack patients get places you in a piece of equipment that is literally a tube.  Good thing for tranquilizers and very kind doctors and nurses.  At one time I am sitting on this camera/testing machine with two nurses and technicians waiting for me to give them the OK to go ahead.   Now I know what the Norbest turkey feels like in the oven when we wait for the little red thing to pop up.   More attention than I have had since I tried to exit a plane while airborne (claustrophobia is a bugger sometimes).  After enough Xanax to put down an elephant I did it.  Couldn't be more proud.  
Thanks to the nurses, the doctors, the admitting group, the cleaning ladies and especially Jon my nurse.  He offered to hold my hand during the big test if the Xanax did not work.  Just kidding.  But he was sincerely interested in my welfare.  Great people, and a great hospital.
Both photo's above were taken tonight on my way home from Washington Park.  Washington park is located up Parley's Canyon.  While there I had some discussions about photography with some friends and educators.  All while wired with a heart monitor.  Though I was little weak it was a great time.  My heart today was still with photography and as the Doctors told me, doing very well.   Another great day.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ummm....so you're ok right? What the heck happened? Good thing you didn't go to Worland...or did you? Man, stay alive ok?

linds said...

I'm glad you're okay, be good dad :)

Alea said...

Wow!So glad you're okay!I love these shots and the saying in the first one!