Sunday, May 17, 2009

More fox...


Friday night. What a night.  These guys are like watching the "Keystone cops".  At times one would sit on the other.  Like a hunting cat they would hide and wait to pounce on their sibling.  Then without notice they would stop and peer up the hill.  Licking their chops as they dreamed of mom returning and regurgitating dinner for them.  And often their looks would be directed at me.  I laid low in the tall field grass.  In an attempt to be inconspicuous I covered the camera and tripod in grass.  But their keen senses knew something what out of sorts.  My ability to remain motionless except for the occasional twitch of my finger helped keep them from diving to the safety of their den.  Jumping, biting, chasing and wrestling was only interrupted by me with the sound of my motor drive.  Instantly the activity stopped, heads turned and ears were up.  This was only for the first few firing of frames.  Soon it was not a curiosity for them.  There must have been some level of risk management by the pups.  My presence was noted but not escapable.  I wonder what is in store for this family.  Only two hundred yards from the base fence line.  Just over the hill from a new development.  The recent encroachment of drilling rigs is evident with their man made tracks passing within feet of either side of the den.  Life must procreate.  It is inbred into all species.  Can this Fox family be relocated successfully?  Is it necessary even to do so.  Whatever the case may be my time with them will always be remembered and cherished. 

No comments: