Thursday, January 29, 2009

Who's got my back?.........

Nikon D-200, 600mm lens, f/4.0, 1/80 second, exposure comp +.50, ISO 100
Families that play together stay together.
How does someone describe a family of otters antics?  
Oxbow Bend....as mentioned before this has to be one of my most favorite places to photograph.  On this late beautiful afternoon I waded (again) into the river. Anticipating the nightly return of the wiener dog shaped, keystone cop acting, comedians of the animal world.   The limits of my wading was determined by that place on a man where tippy toes are needed.  Just before that critical low temp adjustment I set up camp.  At least one hour in the water.  Gives new meaning to cold and wrinkled.  My Gitzo tripod works very well in this slow moving water.  The river bed is made up of small rocks.  I lowered the tripod so the camera and lens were just above the water.  
At times people will canoe past me.  Really nothing is said other than "beautiful day huh?".  I have noticed that this part of the river has an incredible ability to carry sound some great distances.   Sometimes not far past me people in kayaks and canoes break out in laughter.   I have walked down stream a few times to figure out what is causing the laughter.  There's no way it's the big, fat, bald and old guy in shorts, almost waist deep in water, bent over like an old man looking through a very long lens at an empty shoreline.  
Otters hunt almost constantly. At least these guys.  When not hunting they are playing.  I mean rugby style, your going to get it, wrestling.  On land, on water, under water it's all play.  The phrase "the harder they play the harder they work" holds true here.  In the photograph notice how they are touching.  Either by their little webbed and clawed feet.   Or like mating snakes all tangled together in a frenzy of fur and water!  They are a close knit family.  And for me a total blast to photograph.  Even if my legs were numb.  
During this family photo session one or more otters would look interestingly at me.  It was pretty normal.  Just kinda keeping track of what I was doing.  No harm no foul.  Then I heard what was a slight splash behind me.  I was having so much fun I did the ultimate NO NO in photography.  I was not checking all around me.  Many photographers have missed shots because they were NOT keeping an eye all around them.   Behind me were these two beautiful ladies.  They came walking up the stream because some humans had appeared at the shore opposite the otters.  These ladies were pretty nervous about me.  Nervous is better than laughing.  I turned and took about six or seven frames.  It was incredible peek-boo light!  The late day colors were at their peak.  The deer were at full attention.  The river was calm enough to project a painted reflection of these beauties.   I stood very still and watched the deer. They soon were on land and off in the woods.  Another lesson learned.  Never stop checking all around.  Next time IT may not be as beautiful or friendly.
Nikon D-200, 600mm lens, 1/200 second @f/4.0, Exposure Comp -.67, ISO 100

No comments: