Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Mouse Bones, Dog Poop and BINGO....



A long way from my home is a little oasis in a warm and arid valley.  A home to two very special people.  They call it home...I call it the "resort".   A golf course, outdoor whirlpool, outdoor bar, dogs, lizards, a beautiful new home, workshop big enough to fit the home in it, a pool (small enough for Koi ), dog cemetery, full size all metal statue of a cactus (6' or more high), are just a few of the amenities of the "resort".  Though fairly private people these two friends and associates have shared their place of peace with me.  While in the area for work and travel I will always attempt to get together with "S. and S.".  Two things will usually occur - eat and play bingo.   One beautiful day "S. and S." allowed me to sit with the lizards and photograph a family of burrowing Owls.   Even the lizards have a paradise here.  I had to remain motionless to not distract the birds.  Two lizards were playing hide and seek all around me.  One ran under my legs and around my hand.  It was as though they were spies for the birds.  Trying to get me to jump or at least reveal my self as a threat.  NO WAY.   I was here to photograph the birds guys.  BACK OFF!   The Owls arrive annually to clean house in their under ground home.  And of course while there they procreate.  Tiny little buggers are funny as heck!  I guess they are about 6" tall.  Really!  Little tiny big eyed birdies.   Not to be confused with the GOLF birdies nearby.  The excavation at the opening to their underground palace is a lot of bones.  In the photo above they are the white objects.  But note the dog poop.  For some reason they collect it?  I have a million questions about that!  Insulation?  Material to fill entrances in abandoned shafts?  Or a trick to keep cats from the area?    As I sat very low to the ground watching the movements of the birds it occurred to me that I was witnessing the growth and actions of a animal that numbers are dwindling.  I enjoyed the time there.  Not just because I was with my good friends.  I am very lucky when it comes to Bingo.  This day I was very lucky and fortunate to experience these miniature and nervous comedians.  

No comments: