Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Breaking rules....

Nikon D-3, 24-70 f/2.8 lens @ 32mm, shot at 1/15 second, f/22, ISO 800, EV comp. -.67

Unlike speeding down State Street at 8o mph, in photography rules can be broke.  First let the record show that I never drove down State at 80 mph.  My speedometer was not working at the time it's just what the officer claimed.  How many times have we heard do not split a photo in half with the horizon line.  Well I put it to the test tonight.  After yesterdays adventure I was still feeling confident about good light and good subjects.  
The essence of our hobby?  Is it to see things our own way?  Or do we try to emulate others?   Individuality is supreme here!  My reflections (photo humor?) may not be liked by all.  It is my signature however.  
In the photo above even-though the horizon line is slightly off center it works for me.   No this is not an attempt at self glamorization.  The trees on the left and the ice patch in the water on the right break up the horizon line.  If these elements where not present the photo would have been static. 
Utah has incredible sunsets.  With the Wasatch Range opposite the sunset incredible colors are absorbed for all to enjoy!   This meets my second assignment for photographing natural color (no manmade color present in the photo). 
 

No comments: