Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's about the light #2.....

600mm lens - shot in JPEG, ISO 800, 1/125 @ f/4.0

Of the thousands of pictures I have this is my favorite.   What were the conditions? - 6:03 a.m.  and close to 22 degrees.  September the month of the annual rut.  And I found the monster of them all.  Someone told me once that this guy was a Boone and Crocket trophy elk.  I have no idea what Boone and Crocket is but I know after many years of watching elk this guy was B-I-G big.  I have on my website a modified version of this shot.  I took it through NIK software and gave a "midnight" look.  The shot above is untouched except for the conversion to black and white.  The early sunrise gave backlight to the elk.  The rim light over his back and defining his "rack" helps the elk pop in the photograph.  The large aperture gave softness to the plants and background.  Almost a look of a painted scene.  The backlight enhanced his breath shortly after bugling.  The large aperture also defines the focus on the elk.  The stars were aligned for me that morning.   Just another time I was blessed and fortunate to be at that spot.  I was the only photographer there that morning.   It was one of those experiences where I was thrilled that when I left the beauty and wonder of that animal will be their for others to witness.  
I have been back to this area many times looking for this guy.  With other particular animals I have returned and with some hiking, and multiple visits find them again.  A good friend and neighbor of mine loves wildlife and we have traveled together to Yellowstone to photograph and enjoy the wildlife.  On one occasion we looked for the big guy.  Dave had seen the photograph and wanted to witness it himself.  Dave, his wife and I headed out looking and listening.   While resting at one point we heard a lower than normal bugle.  I mean a lot lower than normal bugle. It was as though Barry White was bugling.  Dave and I looked at each other and smiled.  Well, Dave got a glimpse at him.  I did not.  Again, no guarantees that it was the same elk.  I hoped it was.  If only we could have watched it in a clearing as it moved it's enormous antlers back and forth as it listened intently to other buglers.  Daring anyone to challenge his size, and experience.  He seemed to stand taller like he knew he was the dominate male.  What a beautiful animal. What a beautiful part of nature.  Almost an extreme.  My hope is to cross paths with him again. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am reading an old school book (I mean from the 70's) that I got from the library on light. Its interesting to read on the subject from a non digital standpoint. So much has changed! Of course the fundamental principle remains the same, great light, and its effective use, makes for great photos! Good stuff!

linds said...

Dad, this has to be one of my favorite photos that you've ever taken, it's eerily cool! I LOVE it!!