Thursday, August 6, 2009

Going back home...

Where is home?  The place(s) we love the most?  Or that sacred place where families converge?  The incredible wildlife spectacle in Yellowstone is home.  Home to an abundance of wild characters.  A photographers playground.  Starting saturday I will be their guest for several days.  The photo above of he pronghorn takes me to Lamar Valley.  My patience was tested this day.  Pronghorn are one of two fastest land mammals on earth.  And their keen senses are superior to most.  Not easy to approach.  This guy was grazing with his gals for several hours just over the hill from where he is in the photo.  The presence of a human is not wanted at anytime by this breed.  I laid low for what seemed like eternity.  Expecting the family to approach me on this ridge.  At one point my need for a world class pronghorn shot was less necessary than  hours of picking ticks from my torso from laying in sage and grass.  So I started to stand just as Mr. Big Shot came over the hill.  Only six or seven frames of this guy.  One in focus.  I think he was debating if my presence was enough for him to run from his true loves.   He wasn't gone long.  In fact he just circled around to the other the side of the group.  Quite a guy.   Putting his gals between himself and the big bad photographer.  

1 comment:

Alea said...

Awesome shot! You have amazing patience, and it sure pays off!