Friday, August 21, 2009

Deer Week #2

Another missed opportunity...
I am on my soap box again with this one!  Just as my daughter and I set up to shoot two beautiful bucks, out of a car runs a very young man on a dead run towards the deer.  He is on a mission for mom and dad.  Get as close as you can with the point and shoot and take a picture. Hurry because it will run.  DUH!!!!!!!   When will these people realize that close means Bye, Bye to the wild life.  Or hello to the antlers in your gut.  Either one is NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!!!!
Along with the deer in the photo above was a big beautiful five point buck.  He was headed for a clearing with all kinds of yellow and purple flowers.  The shot of a life time for two eager and patient photographers.  BUT NO.  I gestured to the little two legged monster to stay back.  No respect for me or the wishes of those around me.  
I look at it this way.  Everyone has the right to witness these beautiful creatures of the wild.  Equally.  That means that if the animal is NOT affected by our presence we are the right distance from said animal.  To photograph the wild at a distance of comfort for the animal is expensive.  
$10,000.00 for a 600mm lens
$1,000.oo for telecoverters
$6,000.00 for camera.
$1,600.oo for tripod and head 
That's just the beginning.  So why are people so inconsiderate first, of the animal then second, of those that wish to photograph the animal in it's natural state and natural state of mind?   It's no wonder I prefer to hike back to find wild animals.  It puts me alone with the wild.  Hopefully at a great distance from the point and shoot public.  
My daughter is blogging on our trip also.  A very nice perspective for me to see.  Find it here.

1 comment:

linds said...

I know!! And I love how he totally ignored both of us...what a dork! Great photo though, I love the one lone purple flower. And the deer too ;)