Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Who Do You Call?......

I have not blogged for a while...believe it or not I went to Arizona for a couple of days without my camera.   A few days turned into a week.  I was miserable.   Everywhere I looked potentially framed images where passing me by.  I will never leave home without my camera again!

Today I had a solemn reminder of my great love, admiration and appreciation for the friends that surrounded me.  While I was whimpering in Prescott, Arizona, Chad Call and Kelly Irons where laboring at my house.  Concrete work is very demanding especially the flat work at my home.  With a positive attitude and a masterful technique they placed over 12 yards in my yard.  These gentlemen are true friends.  They took on the task without my oversight.  Not that my oversight was needed.  It's just that it is my driveway, at my house and they did it for ME!  I know that I can call them with any need and they would be there ASAP.

This afternoon I found myself lost in the middle of thousands of parked cars (at the economy parking lot at SLC airport).  When I left town a week ago I parked near #6 or #7 pick up spot.  Today I DE-bussed at #7.  The Nissan Titan was nowhere in sight.  I did write the drop off location down last week.  I guess it was lost in my rage when I realized I had to stay over the weekend in AZ.    Though my rage did uncover a credit card I thought I had lost.  Anyway WHO DO YOU CALL when you have lost your car at the airport?  Let's see... I can hear it now.. (laughing out loud) "you what?"  or "call AARP" or maybe "you've lost it".     My emotions were creeping to the surface.  Walking back and forth for almost two hours was making me very tired and weak.  The shoulder bag and two pieces of luggage totaled over 100 pounds.  Delta weighs everything these days.  My wife was teaching, my son and daughters did not answer.  I had ran out of people I could truly threaten if they told anyone.  Then I realized I have a friend that is always good to me.  Penny arrived about 15 minutes later.  Her laughter was restrained.  We drove up and down the aisles.  To my extreme surprise (and I think hers also), the truck was where it was supposed to be near #6.  In the end I did not lose it I just lost IT.  Another very good friend had come to my rescue.  Truth be known I shed a small tear while driving home thinking about my good life and my incredible friends.  Singing to the song from Jonathan Livingston Seaguls "Dear Father" didn't help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The best way to get good friends is to be a good friend yourself. You are always ready to drop everything to help somebody else but it kills you to ask for help from others (that's one reason you walked for two hours trying to find your car because you didn't want to inconvenience anyone else, not to mention you didn't want to be laughed at). You certainly deserve what you get in return for your friendship. Don.