Saturday, November 22, 2008

Death do us part......




Nikon D-3 24-70 f2.8 (-1.33 EV) NIK Color Efex Pro 2

What happens when we die?.......
I am not one to give a sermon about life after death, or resurrection.  When a loved one dies the emotions created are as powerful as any one person can experience.   Our lives proceed slow at first, but eventually at full course.  Because we lost a loved one our paths may vary since their death.  
While in Virginia City I visited the local cemetery.  I usually end up taking a peek at the local burial sites.  Especially communities like Virginia city that have an unusual founding,  or an extremely diverse people.  Great respect should always be given to the place where one is buried.  I always feel a spiritual connection when touring the place where a family, friend(s) or government acknowledges ones past existence.   My father is buried in a location that has beautiful trees, and a manicured lawn.  Beauty surrounds his burial plot.   Not much of the same "beauty" in Virgina City.  The cemetery fits the area, and the climate but more importantly it fits the "rugged" nature of the people that founded the city.  There is no grass,  the trees are not abundant and there is little order to where burial plots are located.   
I was moved to tears (Don and I have that in common).  Entering the cemetery through a gate that must be at least 100 years old I stopped and took in what was before me.  Every type of marker (head stone) imaginable.  What "reeked" from this location was history.  I walked through this  small fenced in area without a word.  I had a prayer in my heart that I was not walking on any burial plots.  As you see in the following photographs there was plots with beautiful marble head stones, rock, and wood with some that had no indication at all as to who was lying at rest there.  The quotes on some of the head stones took me to my knees.  I cried. 

With my photographs I attempted to create the mood that I felt.  It was a clear sunny day. Beautiful by any standard.  But as I photographed and experienced each plot I was lost in the history of each person.  My experiences there was more black and white than in full color.

Some plots had fences completely surrounding the plot.  Most of which were Iron fences.



A beautiful Grave marker.  Note that it is for a 4 year old infant.

"Rest Papa Rest"  How can that not move you!

No name, no family, nothing........

As compared to this beautiful stone....

No marker, a couple of silk flowers....someone showing respect for someone....


 How long before Mary Martin's plot is an "unknown"?....

I was tempted to stand some of the tipping head stones ...like Sarah's head stone.    Write Mary Martin on her wood marker with permanent marker.  Instead I realized each and every one of these individuals are just that..an individual.  Their plots are like each of them..unique.  It was not my place to do more than make a record and leave so others may have similar experiences.

1 comment:

linds said...

Wow Dad, you are seriously talented. I see it more and more as I see your point of view. I love how sensitive you are to the world around you! I'm considering changing to still life photography 'cause of the photoshoot I had with the lil' stinkers today. They were horrible! I still love them though ;)