Monday, November 3, 2008

Long ago....not far away.


Last week I had a fun opportunity to go see some moderately unknown petroglyphs in southern Utah.  I'm always looking for reasons to get out my camera and go shooting.  This was going to be another fun photographic adventure!  In the end it humbled me.  I was very surprised at the very short four wheeler ride from the ranch to the site.  An even shorter walk and I was standing in front of writings/pictures dating from hundreds or maybe thousands of years ago.   So simple yet incredibly powerful to me.  The experience reminded me of the struggles and lifestyles of the person(s) that left the messages on the rock wall.  Many things in nature have vanished, become extinct, or have been more reclusive to the general public.  There before me was an incredible display of someone's talent from long ago.  I felt honored and privileged to be standing at this location visually consuming the renderings on the walls before me.  Did the person(s) that presented the drawings have a certain message?  Is this a depiction of the lifestyle of that time period?  Or was the drawings doodling by a bored teenager?  Whatever the intent or non-intention it was thrilling for me.  

2 comments:

Holly said...

Jim, The whole family just gathered round and watched the slide show of your pics-- a couple of times! The pics are awesome. I can't imagine the amount of patience you must have to be able to capture those images. Way to go!

T.J., Lindsay, Drew, and Cameron Stevens said...

Hey Dad, it's about TIME you did this!! You are so stinkin' talented-I LOVE your photographs, they are incredibly beautiful. Thanks for helping me with this amazing art form :)

luv luv