Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Bad Hair Day..........

Nikon D200 600mm  f4.0,  at f4.0 - 1/2500  Aperture Priority

Perusing over 13,000 photographs brings a flood of memories.....

Two years ago in early May my goal was to find a "Freak" Elk that I had come across late in 2005.  To my surprise it only took me most of one day, some hiking (a couple of miles), two lunchables, bottled water and a package of butt wipes.  In our family we call the small packaged moisturized hand wipes - "butt Wipes". Normal diaper changing requires the same product.  
An elk with an antler growing out of his head in the wrong place probably has few friends.  The unusual growth is just above his eye and crazy shaped.  During the rutt the year before at full girth and spread, he had no cows.    I remember a similar problem I had many years ago.  No cows.  The right portion of the antler seemed normal with 7 points.  A half of a trophy!  The other side was a combination of a spoon like a moose antler and two separate antlers growing out.    My attempt to consul him brought some self criticism. One time when riding with my brother I commented on a rather large individual crossing the street in front of us.  My brothers response was  " We don't make fun of you".  Humility sucks!  My judgment of this elk may be totally out of whack.  In fact at Cabellas a freak anything seems to be a prize.    So I move on and save this photo in my Favorites file.  Or maybe I should create a freak file.  This elk would be the only photo in the file......except a picture of me on those days when I leave for work and my wife catches me at the door and says are you wearing that outside and to work?


2 comments:

linds said...

haha! I know it's like your color blind. Just kidding :) I remember this story....although I'd never seen the picture before. I think you need to follow the buddy system rule: Don't hike in the Wilderness where wild animals might mistake you for their lunchable without a buddy. I know you are in your element though, even if mom is freaking out that she hasn't talked to you in days ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey Jim,

I took a minute today to catch up on your blog. As I already stated, your photography is phenominal, but your writing is also superb. I enjoy reading your blog and the cemetery breifing was exceptional.
By the way, you do not need to interview new contractors, you've already got a quality one....
Matt Bell