Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Dichotomy of what I did today...



A new day....no lost vehicles.
I am in a new area today looking at three sites for new stores.  My role today and tomorrow is to interview new contractors (being that this area is new to Maverik).  Equally as important is to visit each site to consider utilities, soils, existing features and many other issues relative to developing each property.  It is something I really enjoy.  I am fortunate to be working for a company that is still growing and doing a lot of right things.  Just a few miles away on the same highway is an uncompleted development.  My curiosity took me onto the site.  It was obvious that a contractor was near completion at this development.  It appears that most if not all the underground utilities are in place.  The roads have been cut to sub grade.  Everything is being over taken by weeds and debris.  A lot of effort and expense had gone into this development.  It is so very near completion.  Was it a shortage of funding?  Or maybe an overzealous developer that had not followed proper channels?  The development covers a lot of acreage possibly as much as 100 or more acres.  Someones vision not able to be completed.  I expect that within the next year just a few short miles down the highway a new Maverik will be doing a "bang up" business.  My hope is that the unfinished development I witnessed may restart anew and be completed someday. 

1 comment:

T.J., Lindsay, Drew, and Cameron Stevens said...

Um, you didn't call me...! Ew. :) I enjoy reading your blog, you are so eloquent. I wish I could have inherited that from you too! You probably want your lense back. I don't know what I'll do without it!! Maybe for Christmas..... ;)