Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Did you see THAT?.....

Nikon D200 - .3seconds@f/22, ISO 100, Aperture Priority, focal length-12mm (Shot in RAW)

Iguassu Falls in Brazil.   What a beautiful place.  I have never witnessed anything like this before.  Very early one morning, camera bag (sling) over shoulder my daily treat was about to begin.  The best part of photography is you pick the spot that you like the best.  The same location will be seen and shot differently by photographers.  Unless of course you are standing on the cliff at the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone painters point.  Only one place to shoot there.  Back to Brazil!  Hoping that the water running off my camera would not damage it I shot like crazy.  The mist from the falls forced me to wipe my camera and lens between each shoot.  Thank goodness for skylight filters and hotel towels.  Hey I took the towel back after my day of shooting!  Anyway, the shot shown above was my prime spot to shoot.  Lots of falls could be seen.  A leading line into the photograph.  Lots of green and plenty of water.  It was fun.  A tough decision had to be made.  Do I leave the foreground falls in the photograph or crop it out?  Right smack dab in the middle of the bottom of the falls is the end of the guard rail.  Hey! it insures that everyone knows that man has touched most all the earth.  Or maybe it was my proof to the local authorities that I really did stay on the trail.  Does it count if one foot is on the trail?  
Upon returning home the first project was to print and mount several of the Brazil trip photo's.  I always print 13x19, mount them on foam core with a photoshop created border.  Proud of the end result I shared this photograph with the old man at work.  He knows who he is.  The first words out of his mouth were - "What the heck is that metal pipe in the picture.  You need to take that out it distracts from the serenity of the picture".   Did I know the guard rail was in?  Yes.  Did I like the picture?  YES.  Always be prepared for someone to look at your work and say "Did you see that?  And don't be disappointed...you may have the opportunity to see their photograph's.    

1 comment:

linds said...

Seriously dad, you are the bomb shizzle!! I STILL want to dedicate an entire wall to you and your work...my birthday will be here before you now it!! *hint hint*